Tuesday, March 29, 2016

The Old Man and the Sea (Ernest Hemingway)

Ernest Hemingway
The Old Man and the Sea



This seems to me a lot like the other Hemingway I recently read. A macho fantasy that is way too boys own and obvious. Not sure why the old man went so far out to sea with such a predictable result. It's a man vs beast tale but as Hemingway acknowledges man's weapons hardly make it the mano a mano fight he mostly makes out it is and with references to when the old man was younger in Morocco. I found it predictable and tedious. I can't understand why it got a Nobel prize for literature or why the reviewers say there are no spare words. They all are for me. I must be wrong and there must be something I don't get? Doesn't make me want to read any more of the Hemingway collected works I've got at my bedside...

No comments: