Thursday, August 01, 2024

Junky (William Burroughs)

William Burroughs
Junky

A long while since I've read this and I've taken a long while to get through as it's my "pop in pocket" book for when I'm going out in the evening to gigs with a long tube journey. I've not had a lush worker relieve me of it. I think I've been reading for a year on and off but as it's an insight into being, you guessed it, a junky, it's not a story with a plot really except for various attempts to ditch the junk. Indeed a lot of it is about hanging around which gives the flavour of a junky's life, at least back in the 50s. Interesting ending about how the USA was clamping down on heroine use back in the early 50s. Another interesting comment by Burroughs is made at the end when he's moved to Mexico and says that the younger generation that came down weren't interested in sex like his generation was. Just before flower power and the decade of free love.

No comments: