Monday, October 07, 2024

The Life and Rhymes of Benjamin Zephaniah: The Autobiography (Benjamin Obadiah Iqbal Zephaniah)

Benjamin Obadiah Iqbal Zephaniah
The Life and Rhymes of Benjamin Zephaniah: The Autobiography




















A very interesting and engaging book from Benjamin's challenging childhood and teenage years through his determination to make it as a poet (rather than end up in jail or dead) and his excellent work following success to help others whether supporting as artists or highlighting injustices around the world. I saw him I guess in the 80s and although I knew him through poetry (have a couple of his books of poems - his first bought back in the day and the vegan one) and somewhat musically I hadn't really realised the full breadth of his artistic creations and ability. I regret that I didn't follow him more for instance to see his plays. Like all autobiographies I read I find myself thinking that some of it is self aggrandising but I guess that's the point of them and I will certainly big myself up when I write mine. Joke! His introduction is typical of the sort of autobiographies that I read i.e. that the writer hates them... "I hate autobiographies. They are so fake". Well this one isn't it's warts and all. Timely too as unfortunately our dub poet passed away at a relatively early age last year. Well worth reading. And I love his dedication: "Dedicated to me. And why not?"  Sums up his no nonsense attitude. Not fake at all Benjamin - tell it like you want to!

No comments: