Sunday, November 03, 2013

The Time of Our Singing (Richard Powers)

Richard Powers
The Time of Our Singing

Richard Powers The Time of Our Singing


Complex and rich story by a strong story teller which is a compelling read. For me though the wrong characters are followed who have, for me, the least interesting lives and are the least likeable. The ending leaves some chunky loose strings as there are too many important characters that are cut short. It's very technical which it part of it's charm. But at times I felt like I was missing some of the meaning given that I'm not an expert in nuclear physics and chamber music - and the detail that was there seemed a little over researched rather than a natural flow. Ultimately I felt that it was too rich a story for a albeit thick best seller and should have been an epic trilogy. There were some unlikely scenarios in the book which to be fair are never a bad thing if you only realise this after the fact and as I was engaged by the stories and at times enthralled it must be a good book. Not sure I'll search out others by Richard though.

No comments: