Saturday, October 21, 2023

Rebecca (Daphne du Maurier)

Daphne du Maurier
Rebecca





A brilliantly readable novel I think the first I've read of hers. Welcome relief from all the other non fiction books that I've been reading over the last few months. I wanted a good story to let myself flow into and this was a great present from Debbie for our wedding anniversary. Not a particularly appropriate story for an anniversary but better than the one I gave Debbie. That's to come. The descriptions of place, time and feelings are brilliant really letting you get into the head of the main character. It's a pretty dark book with moments of light and not my usual fare but it's so well written I couldn't put it down. The first few pages tell you the current situation and the rest of the book is how she got there. So in some ways you know the outcome but there are a number of twists and turns. But the book is all about the feelings not about the plot so it's hardly a spoiler. A bit of a gothic novel in a way (whatever that means) and I had the feeling of Mary Shelley or Henry James (although I'm not an expert on him and didn't like the only book I read). A book of loss and sadness and not fitting in. I must read more of Daphne.

No comments: